2485 Posts in 1606 Topics by 11870 Members
Latest Member: Olakunle 
Latest post not available
Naija Updates: Hot Topics

Author Topic: Source of Information  (Read 3424 times)

Offline PrincessB

• I Am Like A Rare Black Orchid
    • View Profile
    • Share your thoughts and comments
Source of Information
« on: September 03, 2006, 09:39:39 PM »
How many people actually realise that the net is now

one  huge resource of information?

I remember way back in 1998,  1997 the first computers,

setting them up, a seperate freebie disc which was often

encarta or Britannica encylopedias. To buy them cost you

about 100- 150.

Today you buy a new computer turn it on and its all up and

running. You have a question, type it into the  browser.

But I notice some people don't like to use this tool.

Why are people so lazy. Or is it they just dont thirst for

knowledge. You dont need to visit the library anymore,

or carry a big fat chuncky Collins Dictionary.  Technology

has come a long way and is here to stay. Let us embrace

it and use it as best we can.

God Bless Bill Gates cos today I can communicate with

you all right here on www.naijablogvillage.com

Wale thankyou for this site. May your  site grow from

from strength to strength

PrincessB

Offline miguel

• View Profile
Re: Source of Information
« Comment or Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 02:01:44 AM »
It's a very good source of information,since i have computer and net i dont stop to find new things in different areas till i start to learn more about nigeria history ,this custums and people.
thanks god for the inventor of all this system of communication. ;D

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • AIM HIGH AND BE THOROUGH
    • View Profile
    • www.naijaforumsquare.com
« Comment or Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 04:19:58 AM »
How many people actually realise that the net is now

one  huge resource of information?

I remember way back in 1998,  1997 the first computers,

setting them up, a seperate freebie disc which was often

encarta or Britannica encylopedias. To buy them cost you

about 100- 150.

Today you buy a new computer turn it on and its all up and

running. You have a question, type it into the  browser.

But I notice some people don't like to use this tool.

Why are people so lazy. Or is it they just dont thirst for

knowledge. You dont need to visit the library anymore,

or carry a big fat chuncky Collins Dictionary.  Technology

has come a long way and is here to stay. Let us embrace

it and use it as best we can.

God Bless Bill Gates cos today I can communicate with

you all right here on www.naijablogvillage.com

Wale thankyou for this site. May your  site grow from

from strength to strength

PrincessB

We have to thank Bill Gate for the invention of windows, also The British Man, Tim Berners-Lee who founded the internet in the 1990s even though the America claimed that thier defence system invented the internet couple of decades ago.
Back to your observation PrincessB, I think people still need to be educated a bit more about the important of the internet as a means of sourcing information, about 70% of internet users only use it to check their mails.
Thank you as well PrincessB for your contributions so far. More grace to your elbow.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 04:34:42 AM by Admin »

Offline PrincessB

• View Profile
« Comment or Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 09:04:35 AM »
First of all I have to thank you, Admin for making this site
available to all of us. This is part of what I mean by a huge
source of information.

I agree with you that people need to be educated on how to
use the internet to their advantage.

It surprises me when people say "You are always online, don't
you have anything better to do"

In truth I just tell them, this is the world today. The internet is
the way forward. The whole point of windows, is you can be
working on various projects, and be in the chat room at the same
time. How nice it is to be able to log on and read a book.
How many of us have done that?

From nursery school through to university education and far
beyond, the internet has so many sites to help us.

There are even sites  that discuss all the nigerian tribes and
traditions, with pictures you can view or save.

Simply typing a word in your browser can lead you to so
much information that you did not realise was there.

The internet is like having the worlds library at your fingertips.
If you don't search you will not find. Don't stay in the dark.
There is more to the internet than chatrooms, emails,videos
and music.

Come back and share with us what you found. If you need
help feel free to post your question. :D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 09:06:21 AM by PrincessB »

Offline PrincessB

• View Profile
« Comment or Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 08:13:50 AM »
Does an average Nigerian understand, what he could use a computer for, apart from internet use and Word processing, besides programming and graphical designs?

I really do not think so. The problem at hand, really is Education. People are not aware of what a computer can be simply used for. Have we tried to educate the masses? Maybe some NGOs might claim they have tried, and are still trying . But are they really doing what they should do?, besides do they target the right audience? If I go on asking questions, I wouldnt really achieve at anything, because honestly if we tend to look at the issue, at stake, we would realise that the issue with the penetration of computers, in Nigeria, really goes back to the question? Is the average Nigerian, a Computer literate? if affirmative, How educated? What type of education?

Besides that, I really find it interesting when a Nigerian based computer literate start raising issues on the electricity regularity dilemma (for goodness sake, dont they buy televisions at home?), besides also saying outrageous things like, what would I use the pc for, If not for business or internet use? Does it go not go beyound that? Is that what a computer can only be used for? This is really shocking, wrong knowledge, total myopic enclavement (forgive me for my wordings).

What happened to its primary usage? It is an Educational tool, for goodness sake, I can even include entertainment !!. How do we make use of it to learn without an internet? Good question.

I wouldnt go on listing down, as if I am giving a lecture, but I would try to answer it in a lovely way. I can use a computer to read e-books that is books in electronic format. Books that are readily available in CD-ROMS, or can be provided or sold at cheaper affordable rates, if they are not currently in the market. E-books are very cheap in comparison to normal physical books, even upto 60-80% cheaper in relation to the physical books.

What about interactive learning softwares that teach you how to do things like cookery, poultry , programming etc? What about softwares that help you prepare for exams.

As an entertainment tool, you can keep a huge record of musics on your hard-disk, play computer games, have lan parties in your neighbourhood or at a friends house , besides to name a few. I mean the usage of computers is way too many for me to list down, it just doesnt boil down to the internet? And yes if it is internet, you can build a server in your neighbourhood or hostels that connect to just one internet infrastructure and save a lot on bandwidth using caches etc. I mean thats not even needed if you cant avoid it, but in reality the larger the number of users, the cheaper internet would be in Nigeria.

Besides there are internet cafes for you to research download into a flashdisk and come home plug it in and you are done.

Now how many NGOs educate the masses for free with all this examples, or how many NGOs try to provide special affordable configurations to the masses so that the average Nigerian can have a pc at home at reduced price? Trust me seminars or even talks just end up in the same circle. The same participants keep on coming and coming. And do we call that awareness? To me they are already awared, and it is a total wastage of time. How about door to door evangelism in educated neighbourhoods? Distributing affordable flyer computer specifications besides also hosting regular public promotions on awareness etc? There is always an easy way, if honest, reliable work wants to be done. There are always many ideas that can always be incorporated.

Yes the average Nigerian, can afford an average specification pc, and no the government should not fund such schemes like Computer for All Nigerians Initiative, they should spend their funds and allocations on creating a better infrastructure and solving poverty rather. This is because never in history has an average Nigerian benefited directly from any scheme targetted to the masses, and thus it can be concluded, that such scheme, would meet the same fate of its predecessors.

Oo wait a minute, what happened to the University Students in Nigeria. How many have personal computers?

Disclaimer: This is just a mere opinion and does not justify any
legal fact. The average Nigerian as mentioned in this post is the educated
middle class level of Nigeria. Please note that.

Offline tallestman

• View Profile
« Comment or Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 11:55:52 PM »
Does an average Nigerian understand, what he could use a computer for, apart from internet use and Word processing, besides programming and graphical designs?

I really do not think so. The problem at hand, really is Education. People are not aware of what a computer can be simply used for. Have we tried to educate the masses? Maybe some NGOs might claim they have tried, and are still trying . But are they really doing what they should do?, besides do they target the right audience? If I go on asking questions, I wouldnt really achieve at anything, because honestly if we tend to look at the issue, at stake, we would realise that the issue with the penetration of computers, in Nigeria, really goes back to the question? Is the average Nigerian, a Computer literate? if affirmative, How educated? What type of education?

Besides that, I really find it interesting when a Nigerian based computer literate start raising issues on the electricity regularity dilemma (for goodness sake, dont they buy televisions at home?), besides also saying outrageous things like, what would I use the pc for, If not for business or internet use? Does it go not go beyound that? Is that what a computer can only be used for? This is really shocking, wrong knowledge, total myopic enclavement (forgive me for my wordings).

What happened to its primary usage? It is an Educational tool, for goodness sake, I can even include entertainment !!. How do we make use of it to learn without an internet? Good question.

I wouldnt go on listing down, as if I am giving a lecture, but I would try to answer it in a lovely way. I can use a computer to read e-books that is books in electronic format. Books that are readily available in CD-ROMS, or can be provided or sold at cheaper affordable rates, if they are not currently in the market. E-books are very cheap in comparison to normal physical books, even upto 60-80% cheaper in relation to the physical books.

What about interactive learning softwares that teach you how to do things like cookery, poultry , programming etc? What about softwares that help you prepare for exams.

As an entertainment tool, you can keep a huge record of musics on your hard-disk, play computer games, have lan parties in your neighbourhood or at a friends house , besides to name a few. I mean the usage of computers is way too many for me to list down, it just doesnt boil down to the internet? And yes if it is internet, you can build a server in your neighbourhood or hostels that connect to just one internet infrastructure and save a lot on bandwidth using caches etc. I mean thats not even needed if you cant avoid it, but in reality the larger the number of users, the cheaper internet would be in Nigeria.

Besides there are internet cafes for you to research download into a flashdisk and come home plug it in and you are done.

Now how many NGOs educate the masses for free with all this examples, or how many NGOs try to provide special affordable configurations to the masses so that the average Nigerian can have a pc at home at reduced price? Trust me seminars or even talks just end up in the same circle. The same participants keep on coming and coming. And do we call that awareness? To me they are already awared, and it is a total wastage of time. How about door to door evangelism in educated neighbourhoods? Distributing affordable flyer computer specifications besides also hosting regular public promotions on awareness etc? There is always an easy way, if honest, reliable work wants to be done. There are always many ideas that can always be incorporated.

Yes the average Nigerian, can afford an average specification pc, and no the government should not fund such schemes like Computer for All Nigerians Initiative, they should spend their funds and allocations on creating a better infrastructure and solving poverty rather. This is because never in history has an average Nigerian benefited directly from any scheme targetted to the masses, and thus it can be concluded, that such scheme, would meet the same fate of its predecessors.

Oo wait a minute, what happened to the University Students in Nigeria. How many have personal computers?

Disclaimer: This is just a mere opinion and does not justify any
legal fact. The average Nigerian as mentioned in this post is the educated
middle class level of Nigeria. Please note that.

I like your style. Keep it up

Offline PrincessB

• View Profile
« Comment or Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 10:56:27 AM »
Thankyou tallestman.
I see you are really contributing to the site, in a big way.
Peace!! :D

Advert.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal